Advertisement

Hodder Bridge

Last Modified: 10-11-2020 14:55

By:

Hodder suspension bridge
Hodder suspension bridge
© Christopher Cookson  License this image

The Hodder Suspension Bridge is a single lane structure in the upper Awatere Valley, over the Hodder River. The bridge is the only vehicle suspension bridge in Marlborough.

The original bridge was constructed in 1937 with the contract awarded to Mr. Garnham of Blenheim. It was built with components imported from England. In 1982, major strengthening and refurbishment occured, replacing the original concrete deck with timber. Further strengthening work was done in 2015 to enable the bridge to carry heavy vehicles. The bridge has a main span of 64 metres.

Cite this page

Cookson, C. (2020). Hodder Bridge. Retrieved February, 27, 2024, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/archictecture/bridges/hodder-bridge/

Advertisement