The First Hundred - 1959
By: A. Beverley
Last Modified: 18-3-2023 16:22
Mayor: Mr E. P. Heathen
Councillors: Messrs C. C. Dix, F. Faulding, S. P. Harling, T. F. Hegglun, R. T. Scott, D. Hegglun, H. E. McKinley, G. E. Marshall, H. A. J. S. Hall, J. G. Walker, G. H. Whimp, Sowman, L. S. S. H. J. Wiblin.
The Council commences laying a four-inch water main in Redwoodtown.
12: Mr Murray King wins the annual Marlborough Sports Depot trophy with a 171b brown trout caught in the Spring Creek.
The old swimming pool is filled in. The site today is occupied Ltd. by Pyne, Gould, Guinness.
There is a serious water shortage in Blenheim. Many wells on the outskirts fail and 100 homes have no supply at all.
The Council receives the scroll from the College of Arms, London, authorising, the Blenheim coat of arms. The shield bears the words "Industria Et Perseverantia" (by industry and perseverance). The document hangs in the Council Chamber.
25: The newly-formed Marlborough Harbour Board holds its first meeting. Mr R. Dossor, chairman.
The Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. Walter Nash, opens the Marlborough Centennial Industries Fair on the corner of Market and Main Streets. It was organised during two years of preparation by Blenheim Jaycees (Mr J. R. Baldwin, convener) and won a New Zealand award for the best-organised project of the year. In December advice was received from the International Jaycee congress in Rio de Janerio that the project had won the world award. £1212 was raised for the Centennial Hall.
9: T. H. Barnes & Co. Ltd's joinery factory and a store owned by F. E. Musgrove Ltd gutted by fire; £60,000 damage.
Mrs E. H. Jermyn, of Seddon, makes the first reservation for a pupil to board at the proposed College hostel. It was opened in 1967 — too late for her daughter Elizabeth to attend.
1: 554 acres of Redwoodtown become part of the Borough.
There are many Centennial activities — Marlborough Racing Club's Centennial meeting, Scottish Society dedication of uni- forms, Highland dancing competitions, Church of England Men's Society conference, C.B.A. doll exhibition, Centennial air pageant.
Mr V. W. Talbert, secretary-organiser of the Centennial Association, reports good sales of the pictorial programme.
12: The Bishop of Nelson, the Rev. F. O. Hulme-Moir, dedicates extensions to St. Barnabas's Church, Springlands.
Mr F. L. Smith, president of the Chamber of Commerce, announces that strong efforts are being made to have the proposed £2,000,000 aluminium factory sited in Marlborough.
Two young Blenheim singers, Angela Shaw and Noel Mangin, are given bursaries to study overseas.
23: An estimated Force-6 earthquake jolts Blenheim. Telephones jammed, some shop windows broken, many chimneys down.
The Council donates £1000 to the Centennial Memorial Hall Association.
"Some of us are sweating blood over the Marlborough Centennial; others are sitting back doing nothing," said Mr A. M. Hale.
Miss D. M. Jordan wins a Marlborough apple pie making contest. She came fourth in the national finals.
19: Selwyn Toogood, a well-known radio broadcaster, opens Wright Stephenson's new home appliance store in Market Street.
Mr D. H. McFedries is appointed managing secretary of the Marlborough Automobile Association. The Association moved into its new headquarters in Maxwell Road in October. This was the former residence of Dr R. G. Adams.
The Marlborough Repertory Society presents "Waiting for Gillian." Leads, Trevor Harle, Audrey Green; producer, Bill Mitchell.
28: M. P. Stapp of the Marlborough Golf Club, has his handicap reduced to scratch.
The Marlborough Industrial Development Committee (Mr F. L. Smith, chairman) prepares a case for Waikawa as a site for an oil refinery. The committee later prepared a strong case for Linkwater.
An application by the Council in response to a petition fails to have Burleigh included in the Borough.
29: The Lions beat a combined Marlborough - Nelson - Golden Bay - Motueka rugby team 64-5. Lewis Green, of Blenheim, scored the only try. The Lions team autographed a rugby ball which was auctioned by Mr R. McArtney for £35 to Mr S. Bryant in aid of the Mayfield Kindergarten.
22: The Marlborough Branch of the New Zealand Organic Compost Society formed. Mr A. Sutton, president.
23: The Blenheim Methodist Sunday School Hall in Mayfield, opened and dedicated by the Rev. Dr M. A. McDowell.
25: A correspondent condemns the public apathy and indifference and those too mean to spend a florin to support the youth week celebrations held in the Town Hall.
28: The first cartoon by "H.J.H." (Henk Hilhorst) appears in The Express.
29: 1200 ex-pupils of Blenheim School gather to celebrate the school centennial. Headmaster, Mr D. R. Lockhart. The oldest living ex-pupil, Mrs Charity Day, 90, cut the giant birthday cake.
Mr R. J. Ballinger, of Budge Street, grows a 10lb carrot.
28: The Mayor, Mr E. P. Meachen, opens the museum section of the Blenheim Library.
Marlborough cricketer Gary Bartlett returned bowling figures of 12 wickets for It runs against a Wellington Club XI.
31: The Governor-General, Lord Cobham, opens the A. & P. Show.
1: The Express prints a 48-page Provincial Centennial supplement.
1: Marlborough is officially 100 years old. John Murray Irving, the infant son of Mr and Mrs James C. Irving, Blenheim, becomes the first Marlburian of the new century.
2: Some 6000 people gathered on the Taylor River banks to watch a pageant depicting the history of the province. Mr Jimmy Holder presented a Maori challenge to the Governor-General.
14: The R.S.A. opened its new £25,000 clubrooms. Mr W. J. Perkins, president; Mr P. G. Tizard, secretary.
21: Milk deliveries start from the new £24,000 milk treatment station in Redwood Street. It was officially opened by the Hon. C. F. Skinner, on December 9. The previous station was in Maxwell Road.
23: Mr E. P. Meachen re-elected Mayor. The Council elected unopposed.
16: Mr T. F. Hegglun is appointed Borough overseer.
Rates produce £82,380; building permits £333,329; area 2497 acres; population 11,250; valuation, capital £9,832,000, unimproved £2,245,000.
Cite this page
Beverley, A. (2023). The First Hundred - 1959. Retrieved December, 2, 2023, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/history/the-first-hundred/1959