The First Hundred - 1942
By: A. Beverley
Last Modified: 10-3-2023 12:57
Mayor: Mr C. T. Smith
Councillors: Messrs C. E. Costello, H. J. S. Mitchell, R. J. France, W. J. Girling, J. D. Lucas, A. W. Taylor, E. S. Parker, J. McLeod, R. A. Jamieson, R. Agnew.
Animals and poultry by-laws passed. Residents are restricted to 50 fowls on each quarter acre.
10: The Old People's Home at Amersfoote taken over as an emergency hospital. The old folk were billeted.
The Nelson-Marlborough Mounted Rifles changes its name to the 10th Armoured Fighting Vehicle Regiment.
The box factory of Mr A. Prentice is gazetted an essential industry.
The Government takes over the A. & P. Showgrounds for military purposes.
Council gives the guns received as trophies from the 1914-18 war to the R.S.A. for scrap metal.
Marlborough College was taken over as an emergency hospital. Pupils arrived for assembly but were locked out. Classes were attempted in the grounds but the weather was bad. Classes were then held in halls in Blenheim and Springlands. There was a serious argument between the Hospital and College Boards. The parents were irate. The school was handed back in February 1943.
Mr P. Burgoyne appointed Borough Engineer.
21: Big air raid trials and black-out exercises carried out in Blenheim. Householders dig slit trenches.
The Emergency Precautions Service makes plans to evacuate all non-essential personnel from Blenheim in case of emergency. The Government erects a £50,000 administration block and a 93-bed ward at Wairau Hospital.
13: The first food ration books are issued in Blenheim. Women are rationed to four pairs of stockings a year.
Customers must supply their own wrapping paper at the butchers.
29: Clothing rationing starts.
24: Mr E. R. Neale, Mayor of Nelson, attends a Council meeting and presents Blenheim with a Mayoral chain as a gesture of goodwill and to mark the centenary of Nelson.
The Borough staff assists in digging trenches in the Marlborough College grounds and Seymour Square.
Council supports the Chamber of Commerce protest that the scow Echo is to be taken off the Wellington-Blenheim service. She was lent to the American Navy and served in the South Pacific.
28: Council begins the practice of opening its meetings with a prayer, a copy of which is on an earlier page of this book.
21: Four-day army manoeuvres are held in the Blenheim district.
Two hundred and four Marlborough reservists called up. Blenheim Air Training Corps Squadron formed.
A Blenheim man, Group-Captain Gynes Ramsbottom-Isherwood, D.F.C., A.F.C., becomes first foreigner to receive the Order of Lenin from the Soviet Government. He was killed in an air crash in England in 1950.
Mr George Graham, of Fairhall, leaves 04,900 in his will to various Marlborough and Nelson institutions.
The Blenheim branch of the Marlborough Farmers' Union forms a George Graham Veterinary Association; president, Mr J. B. Barnett. It received £4000 from Mr Graham's will.
The State Housing Commission completes its first house in the McCallum housing block, Blenheim.
Rates produce £27,342; building permits £49,150; valuation, capital £1,658,266, unimproved £473,150.
Cite this page
Beverley, A. (2023). The First Hundred - 1942. Retrieved February, 28, 2024, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/history/the-first-hundred/1942