The First Hundred - 1927
By: A. Beverley
Last Modified: 5-3-2023 17:38
Mayor: Mr M. McKenzie
Councillors: Messrs W. Carr, J. Wemyss, P. S. Boyes, E. S. Parker, H. M. W. Richardson, C. T. Smith, J. J. O'Halloran, M. W. Grace, T. B. Salmon, Dr R. Noble-Adams, Mrs Ada Redwood.
The bells for the memorial clock tower, made by Taylor & Co., of Loughborough, England, arrive at Littlejohn's the clock makers, in Wellington.
Council refuses an application for a pie cart in Blenheim.
Council licences eating houses and hairdressers.
7: The Junior High School (fore-runner of the Intermediate) is opened at Marlborough College. Its two-storied brick wing was to be the first part of a new College, but by the time this was proceeded with in 1937-38 the design had been altered and the wing is still structurally separate.
Reported that ownership of radios in Blenheim is increasing.
The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) visit Blenheim. They receive a rousing welcome in Waterlea Park.
Cigarettes are 1/6 for 20.
The A. & P. Association decides to erect special gates into the Maxwell Road ground as a memorial to the old sheep stations in Marlborough.
A man is sentenced to a month in gaol for "stealing a kiss" from a widow; the prosecutor complains that a sentence of a month meant the prisoner would have to be kept in gaol locally whereas five weeks meant serving time in Wellington. The Magistrate complied and ordered five weeks in Wellington.
Blenheim Rotary Club's first meeting, with Mr C. H. Mills as first president.
Mr M. McKenzie re-elected Mayor.
The following butchers threaten legal action if the Council refuses them possession of sheep "runners" from the abattoirs: Adams Bros, J. J. O'Halloran, G. Hart, J. Moseley, W. Smith, J. Gibson, S. Wilkinson, Gamble & Cameron. Council, on the advice of the Borough solicitor, Mr A. C. Nathan, refuses to grant the butchers the right to remove offal. The matter went to the Supreme Court and the Council won the case. It went to the Appeal Court and was dismissed, then before the Privy Council and the butchers lost the case.
6: The Minister of Public Works switched on the electric power in Blenheim. The crowd, numbering thousands, gasped in admiration as the "myriads" of coloured lamps strung in Market Place came to light. The Regimental Band burst into the Provincial Anthem and all joined in singing "Marlborough Will Shine Tonight." The power was generated from a dam on the Waihopai River, 25 miles from Blenheim, the scheme costing the Marlborough Electric Power Board £275,000.
24: The Power Board's new store in Leeds Quay destroyed by fire —a £7000 loss.
The Plunket Society raises £2002 in a queen carnival contest. Miss Violet Gardiner was the winner, having raised £663.
A Boy Scout Association is formed n Blenheim.
24: Council makes a presentation to Mr S. I. Vercoe, a member of the reporting staff of The Express, on the occasion of his marriage.
Mr Charles Patchett, the first "traffic inspector" in Blenheim, retires. (He carried out his duties on foot.) Mr J. A. Laird was appointed to succeed him, and in due course a motor vehicle was provided.
Rates 2 1/2d in £, Hospital 4d, special 3d.
Cite this page
Beverley, A. (2023). The First Hundred - 1927. Retrieved February, 28, 2024, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/history/the-first-hundred/1927