Advertisement

The First Hundred - 1926

By:

Last Modified: 5-3-2023 17:33

Councillors: Dr R. Noble-Adams, Messrs W. Carr, P. S. Boyes, E. S. Parker, J. J. O'Halloran, T. B. Salmon, C. T. Smith, J. Wemyss, Mrs Ada Redwood.

JANUARY

Council authorises the installation of roadside petrol pumps for M.F.C. Motors and Blenheim Motors.

Following the advent of the Cook Strait ferry steamer Tamahine, many tourists in cars of all descriptions are seen passing through Blenheim.

FEBRUARY

A correspondent bewails the loss of good manners in youth. "Gone are the good old days of long hair and ball gowns and the sedate whirling, to the strains of a waltz. The monster Jazz and the fox trot has now engulfed all that was beautiful."

MARCH

26: The Marlborough Girl Guides Association formed with Mrs G. T. Seymour as provincial commissioner, and Mrs S. T. Evatt as provincial secretary.

27: Cook Strait telephone cable laid through Blind River.

MAY

On the death of Mr W. Pollard, who in his lifetime had given money and land for the park at Waterlea, Council receives a bequest bringing the total value of his generosity to £7000. The area is renamed Pollard Park in his memory.

 

Many still-famous trade names appear in The Express advertis­ing columns — Marmite, Sanitarium, Dunlop, Bournville, Ford, Capstan, Edmonds, Austin, Dewar, Sunlight, Kodak. Local advertisers are well represented: H.B.'s, J. E. Thomas's, R. Cresswell's, MacQueen's, Levin's, Dalgety's, N.Z. Farmers', Wright Stephenson's, Girling's, Miller McKay's, Rabone's.

SEPTEMBER

Messrs Gray & Waters commence building the War Memorial in Seymour Square. Contract price £2000; Roger Bacon architect.

A new five-seater Ford sells at £160.

The Governor-General, Sir Charles Fergusson, visits Blenheim.

NOVEMBER

A serious flood in the Wairau River. Damage estimated at £2000. The river was at its highest point for 22 years and Spring Creek and Tua Marina were heavily flooded.

DECEMBER

17: The Mayor, Mr M. McKenzie, in a town-planning scheme, proposes closing the north end of Queen Street with a 10ft pedestrian right-of-way behind the Post Office. There were pro­tests from Queen Street retailers and no action was taken.

Cite this page

Beverley, A. (2023). The First Hundred - 1926. Retrieved February, 28, 2024, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/history/the-first-hundred/1926

Advertisement