The First Hundred - 1882


Last Modified: 9-1-2023 22:13

Mayor: Mr F. T. Farmar

Councillors: Messrs J. T. Robinson, A. Rogers, A. G. Fell, W. Litchfield, W. Douslin, D. Wemyss, G. W. Riley, W. Sinclair, W. Gillespie, H. Dodson, W. B. Parker.


Many buildings in central Blenheim burnt down; damage esti­mated at £11,000.

Correspondent to The Express condemns people who marry their grandparents.


Council repeals by-law prohibiting the driving of cattle through the streets in daylight.

20: Wesleyan Church, High Street, opened by the Rev. Messrs Carr and Lee.


Public meeting called to urge the Government to construct a cart bridge over Gouland's Ferry (on the Wairau River).

Conference of local bodies is held to discuss the erection of a bridge over the Wairau River.

Deputation to Government in Wellington obtains a town clock to be erected on Government buildings, Market Place. The clock was to have four faces and would be illuminated at night. Cost, £155.


The Express refers to its opposition paper in Picton, The Press, as "suffering from a severe bilious attack."

Vital statistics for month: Births nil, marriages nil, deaths one.


Anti-vaccination Society and Mutual Improvement Society formed in Blenheim.

Public meeting called to protest at the Nelson - West Coast pro­position to have the main trunk railway line run through their districts and not down the east coast.


Pitchell Street is formed.


A great commotion in Blenheim when a horse bolts with a bread van through town.

31: W. B. Girling & Co. shift to a new store at the corner of High and Market Streets.


Early Closing Association formed in Blenheim.


By-law requires householders to replace all roofs built with a combustible material.

Blacksmiths of Blenheim decide to close their premises from 1 pm on Saturday until Monday morning.

Men's serge suits are 21/-; dress shirts 4/6.

Mr W. Fergussen operates a soap factory in Blenheim.

Cite this page

Beverley, A. (2023). The First Hundred - 1882. Retrieved February, 28, 2024, from