Te Tio/Oyster Bay - Port Underwood
Last Modified: 2-6-2021 14:20
By: Christopher Cookson
Te Tio/Oyster Bay (not to be confused with Oyster Bay in Tory Channel) is a bay in Port Underwood that was the site of both Māori and some of the earliest European settlement in Marlborough. In 1839, John Guard purchased Oyster bay from Ngāti Rarua chief, Te Whetu. Between 1830 and 1847, Oyster Bay was the site of a shore whaling station. Even after the decline of whaling, Oyster Bay was frequently visited by shipping from Wellington. In 1906, the steamer Blenheim was intentionally run aground at Oyster Bay after developing a leak in high seas in Cook Strait. A school operated for some years in the bay.
A road eventually reached the bay in the 1960s. A small settlement with some permanent residents and holiday homes occupies the land around the bay.
Cite this page
Cookson, C. (2021). Te Tio/Oyster Bay - Port Underwood. Retrieved June, 19, 2021, from https://www.marlboroughonline.co.nz/marlborough/information/geography/coastal-areas/oyster-bay/