Wairau Bridge SH 6 Kaituna

16/02/2016

The first bridge over the Wairau near Renwick was constructed in 1912 and officially opened on January 24,1913, however the single lane wooden structure was damaged numerous times when the Wairau River flooded. In 1955 a flood swept away several spans of the old bridge making the need for a new bridge more urgent than ever.

The current bridge of concrete on steel girders was opened officially in October 1958 by the chairman of the National Roads Board at the time, Hugh Watt. Construction cost was 335,500 pounds.

Wairau River Bridge SH6